Home » News » United fans fight racial slur ban

United fans fight racial slur ban

When Western United takes to the pitch for their first home games at Tarneit in coming weeks, three devoted green and black supporters won’t be among them after copping 18 month bans for alleged racial abuse. Gerald Lynch spoke to the devastated fans who say their appeals to prove themselves innocent of wrongdoing at a recent game have fallen on deaf ears.

During a match between Western United FC Women and Perth Glory FC Women on December 22, Football Australia officials say they were alerted to a serious incident involving alleged racial vilification directed at a Perth Glory FC player by spectators.

Three Werribee locals and Western United members were identified as the culprits, but they are adamant that the FA has wrongly accused and reprimanded them.

Caleb Trimble, 30, was enjoying the match at City Vista in Caroline Springs with his close friends Andrew Tran, 30, who has level two autism, and Jay Sutcliffe, 28, who is in the battle of his life with stage four bowel cancer, when they were approached by an FA official and questioned about racist comments.

After trying to help officials pinpoint the offender, Caleb couldn’t believe it when a letter arrived at his house, informing him that he and his friends were being accused of being the culprits.

“I was completely shocked and appalled to find out that I had been accused of racist language,” Caleb said.

“Jay, Andrew, and myself were chanting, cheering and supporting our team with passion, but in no way, shape or form did any of us use the language that we are being accused of.

“Later on in the game we had security come up to us to ask us some questions about what had happened over there. We relayed all of the information that we had to them along with providing our details to help them out.”

The three men worked with security and FA officials who approached them, believing they were merely assisting with the investigation as they were in the vicinity of the incident, until letters arrived detailing the gravity of the situation.

Caleb claims the officals accused them of directing a racial slur at one of the Perth Glory players.

“I am extremely disappointed and saddened by the fact that the Perth Glory players were subjected to such disgusting language and behaviour at one of our home games and I am of the firm belief that no one should have to deal with such things at all, let alone playing the sport that they love,“ he said.

Facing an 18 month ban, Jay Sutcliffe fears he may have seen his last game of football.

“In April 2023, I was suddenly diagnosed with incurable and terminal stage four bowel cancer,” he said.

“This ban is actually quite terrifying for me as there is a good chance I won’t live another 18 months, which would mean I’ve seen my last game of live football.

“Football is one of the highlights of my life at the moment. It helps me feel normal for 90 minutes a week and I would be absolutely devastated if I were never able to attend a game again for something I had no part in.”

Jay said he couldn’t make sense of how he came to be accused, saying the information the trio was told doesn’t match up.

“I fully deny taking part in any sort of anti-social, discriminatory or racist behaviour,” he said.

“They told us our comments were audible via the broadcast of the match, and after carefully reviewing the footage from when these comments were made, between the 22nd and 27th minute of the game, I could not hear myself, Caleb or Andrew make any comments other than supportive comments towards Hannah Keane and Chloe Logarzo regarding their shots at goal.

“As a foundation member of Western United, and as one of the people who helped start the Western Service crew active support, I understand the importance of inclusivity to help grow and support football in Australia.

”I have attended hundreds of games and become friends with supporters, club staff and players of various cultures, backgrounds and identities and I would never do anything to put them in a position where they feel vilified for simply being who they are.

“Western United and the community we are starting to build around the club mean everything to me and I will always try and make anyone involved with our sport feel as welcome as possible.“

A spokesperson for the FA said a strict zero racism policy is enforced.

“As the governing body of football in Australia, we hold a firm stance against any form of racial vilification or anti-social behaviour,” the spokesperson said.

“The actions of these individuals not only breached the A-League Terms of Admission and our Spectator Code of Behaviour but fundamentally contradicted the values of respect and inclusivity that Football Australia stands for.

“In response, Football Australia issued an 18 month ban to these spectators, effective immediately. This ban encompasses all matches sanctioned by Football Australia, including National Team matches, Australia Cup matches, A-Leagues matches, National Second Tier matches, and National Premier League matches. We are committed to ensuring that football remains a sport that unites communities and offers a safe and respectful environment for all.“

“An official at the match identified the three persons in question at the time of the incident. The facts gathered during the investigation confirmed names and details of the incident, which led to their respective bans.“

Star Weekly understands officials from Western United and FA were set to meet this week to discuss the ban.

Star Weekly approached Western United for comment.

Digital Editions


  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its…

More News

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Free pet lovers event

    Free pet lovers event

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…

  • NFL women’s fixtures released

    NFL women’s fixtures released

    There will be no re-grading for the Northern Football League women’s competition this season. The league released its women’s fixtures on Monday, with 31 teams to compete across three grades…

  • Business award nominations open

    Business award nominations open

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Nominations are open for the annual Whittlesea business awards which recognise innovative, sustainable, diverse and community-driven businesses. The awards aim to support local…

  • Warriors on top

    Warriors on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 518147 Westmeadows took the rights on day one of its match with Craigieburn in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association senior division. The two Hume…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…