Home » News » New COVID-19 cases connected to Coolaroo cluster

New COVID-19 cases connected to Coolaroo cluster

Two new COVID-19 cases included in today’s numbers are connected to the Coolaroo cluster.

The cluster, previously known as the City of Hume cluster, now has 14 cases across five households connected to it.

There were 26 new locally acquired cases of the virus announced today, with 24 of the cases in isolation for the entirety of their infectious period, according to COVID-19 response commander Jeroen Weimar.

Mr Weimar said one case was in the community for a single day during their infectious period.

One case was in East Gippsland when she was informed she was a primary close contact and Mr Weimar said she demonstrated “exemplary” COVID-safe behaviours until getting into isolation.

“What we’re seeing is a fantastically high level of compliance,” Mr Weimar said.

“Isolation is critically important.

“We have to sustain that isolation, that is how we’ll… get on top of this outbreak.”

It comes as new tier one and tier two exposure sites were identified in Roxburgh Park and Craigieburn.

Health Minister Martin Foley confirmed the Hume family who travelled to Victoria from Sydney, and were the initial COVID-19 cases in the area in the most recent outbreak, will not be fined.

The family had travelled to the state under a red zone permit and were required to quarantine for 14 days.

A member of the family breached isolation and attended both Coles at Craigieburn Central Shopping Centre and Metro Petroleum at Broadmeadows.

Mr Foley said the family had been “forthcoming” with contact tracers.

“They readily shared [information],” he said.

“Because there was a clear, clear set of engagements around the forthcoming nature of those discussions, the ready provision of the information, I want to thank those linked households for their engagement.

“That family clearly breached the rule in terms of how it applied but did so in a particular set of circumstances, in a particular set of arrangements, with no ill intent.

“The sad truth is that as a result of very close family contacts within that community, it is now spread across a number of households.”

Mr Foley said that despite the family breaching isolation requirements, he was “reassured” by the co-operation of the community.

“The community in the northern suburbs have been through this before and are doing an outstanding job,” he said.

“I’m quite reassured by the co-operation from the communities of the northern suburbs to be completely engaged and upfront… with officials.

“I’m more than hopeful… that we have our arms around this [outbreak].”

For information on exposure sites: www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/exposure-sites

To find out where to get tested: www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/where-get-tested-covid-19

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…