Home » News » Sunbury decides: Vagueness mars the vote

Sunbury decides: Vagueness mars the vote

Voting on whether Hume residents want Sunbury to stand alone as a municipality or stay with Hume council ends this Friday.

As scrutineers prepare for Saturday’s count, many commentators are posing the question: What happens if most of Hume wants Sunbury out but Sunbury residents opt to stay? The poll of voters was instigated by Local Government Minister Jeanette Powell to fulfil a Coalition 2010 election promise

Postal voting papers were sent to all Hume ratepayers earlier this month,

The ballot sparked angry comments in State Parliament last week from Labor’s Yuroke MP Liz Beattie, and a number of Hume councillors have reported confusion and anger among constituents about whether the vote is compulsory and why little information has been circulated about its ramifications.

Ms Beattie told Parliament she was disgusted with the lack of governance that put voters at such a disadvantage in making informed choices. “Tens of thousands of ratepayers and businesses across the electorate of Yuroke have received ballot papers with absolutely no explanation as to why and upon what they are being required to vote,” she said.

“This ballot is being conducted in a vacuum devoid of debate and explanation of the issues or implications of the outcomes of a vote that could see Sunbury secede from Hume. Many people have brought their ballot papers into my office to seek guidance,” she said. “A vague reference to the Victorian Electoral Commission website and a seven-word proposal is all that has been provided to electors.

“The fact that the only directive for information that is given is via a website is discriminatory to anyone without access to or understanding of the internet.”

Ms Beattie’s concerns have been echoed by a number of Hume councillors.

Craigieburn councillor Casey Nunn said she had been inundated with calls, emails and approaches on the street from people asking her opinion. “I haven’t even made up my own mind, but I am concerned for the financial implications for Sunbury people,” she said.

Cr Drew Jessop said he had presented background information outlining the pros and cons of Sunbury’s secession from Hume on Facebook, including a KPMG financial assessment that found Sunbury received good services from Hume and that rates would likely increase if the town stands alone, while rates for the rest of Hume would drop slightly.

On Friday, Mrs Powell said: “More than 118,000 people are registered to vote in the Sunbury poll, and I encourage all eligible voters to fill out their ballot paper and mail it back to make the [October 25] deadline.”

 

“The Sunbury poll, while not mandatory, is important and the government wants as many people as possible to participate.’’

Digital Editions


  • Experience musical classics live

    Experience musical classics live

    Experience classic musical songs from The Phantom of the Opera to Cats live in South Morang at the premier Michael Crawford tribute show ‘Phantom’. Keith…

More News

  • New look Hume ready to do

    New look Hume ready to do

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 458912 It’s been an off season of change for Hume City in the National Premier League. While Hume finished in seventh and only two…

  • Demons’ ready for challenge

    Demons’ ready for challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 507983 Mernda is hoping to lock in a win this Saturday and with it a spot in at least the Diamond Valley Cricket Association…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…