Home » News » Meadow Heights woman stabbed in home invasion

Meadow Heights woman stabbed in home invasion

UPDATE: A mother who was repeatedly stabbed by an intruder in a terrifying home invasion could have been a victim of mistaken identity, detectives believe.

The 39-year-old woman was asleep at a rented Hamlyn Court house in Meadow Heights when a stranger broke into the property through her bedroom window about 2.45am on Monday.

“She’s woken to a male on her bed, and being stabbed in the back, a struggle has taken place and there was a period of time where the offender has continued to stab the victim,” Hume Crime Investigation Unit Detective Sergeant Mick Gaul said.

The woman received four stab wounds to her upper torso from a flat blade knife before her attacker fled through the bedroom window, he said.

Police do not believe any property was taken and are treating the incident as an attempted murder.

The woman shared the house with her adult daughter, whose boyfriend was also home at the time of the attack.

Neighbours say the family had only been living at the house for a couple of months, moving in shortly before Christmas.

But the property was well known to police by its previous tenants, and that, along with the victim’s account of the struggle, suggest she was not her attacker’s intended target, Detective Sergeant Mick Gaul said.

He said once the man had the opportunity to see the woman’s face he gave the impression she was “the wrong person”. Although it is understood no words were exchanged during the ordeal.

Police established an information caravan near the property on Wednesday morning and received a number of new leads.

Police have been told a man was heard screaming outside the property shortly after the incident.

The woman was treated for her wounds at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and is expected to be released shortly.

The attacker has previously been described as having short, fair hair and wearing blue jeans and a black T-shirt.

Anybody with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…

  • Jets pull women’s side

    Jets pull women’s side

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 425636 Greenvale has made the call to pull its women’s side ahead of the Essendon District Football League premier division season. The Jets were…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…