Home » Uncategorized » Maribyrnong man jailed over underage sexual messages

Maribyrnong man jailed over underage sexual messages

By Benjamin Millar

A Maribyrnong man has been jailed after sending sexual messages to a 12-year-old boy on social media and arranging to meet what he thought was a 14-year-old boy, but who turned out to be an undercover police officer.

David Botting, 31, pleaded guilty in the County Court to one charge of transmitting indecent communications to a person under 16 years of age and one charge of using a carriage service to procure a person believed to be under 16 years of age for sexual activity.

The court heard the events took place between January and April last year.

Botting used Instagram to send indecent communications to a 12-year-old boy, later using Facebook to communicate with and arrange to meet a boy he believed to be 14 years of age for sex.

The court heard Botting engaged the 12-year-old boy in a private conversation on Instagram by sending him a direct message, later making sexual comments and asking the boy about his sexual interests.

He began offering gifts and asking personal questions of an increasingly sexual nature. In March, the boy’s mother discovered the conversations and reported the matter to police.

A police officer then posed as a 14-year-old boy on Facebook, sending Botting a friend request. Botting asked to Skype with the boy, but the officer instead sent two photos of a boy aged about 14 years of age.

The court heard that while the conversations began as a general discussion, they soon became sexualised and escalated.

Botting asked the officer to meet with him, saying he should not tell his parents. They arranged to meet at Hawthorn McDonald’s, where Botting was arrested.

When interviewed by police, Botting said he was “90 per cent sure” the Facebook account was an older person pretending to be 14 years of age.

County Court Judge Sue Pullen said while Botting’s guilty pleas indicated some remorse, there remained a level of denial.

Botting was last month convicted and sentenced to 24 months’ imprisonment, with a non-parole period of nine months.

Digital Editions


More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 471376 Northern FL South Morang has locked in one of its own for the Northern Football League division 2 season. Tyson Gresham, who was…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…