Home » Uncategorized » Broadmeadows detention centre’s new visit rules ‘punitive’

Broadmeadows detention centre’s new visit rules ‘punitive’

Regular visitors to Melbourne Immigration Transit Accommodation in Broadmeadows have expressed concerns about new security measures.

Serco, the firm contracted to run the detention centre, recently advised visitors of a revised set of entry conditions.

They include filling out an application form on the day of the visit and calling between 9am and 1pm the day before visiting to book in a specific time.

Refugee advocate Patrick Walsh, who regularly visits detainees, labelled the new rules as punitive.

He said visitors had turned up on the day of their intended visit only tobe turned away and told there was no record of their call or booking.

“One of my biggest concerns about these new rules is that we have to call between 9am and 1pm the day before, but the detainees don’t get their medical appointment times until 6pm the night before,” he said.

Mr Walsh said Serco has also limited detainee visits into the community to temples and other religious venues, while pat-downs had been ramped up.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Immigration and Border Protection said the new system was brought in to ensure the Broadmeadows detention centre’s rules were consistent with other immigration facilities around the country.

“The conditions for visiting an immigration detention facility are frequently reviewed to ensure safety of visitors and detainees and to maintain the security of the centre,” she said.

The Refugee Action Collective held a vigil in protest against the new visitor restrictions on May 20 outside the Camp Road facility.

Mr Walsh said about 30 peaceful protesters attended despite the cold and rain, but he questioned whether it helped relay their message.

“It’s like hitting your head against the wall,” he said.

“Did Serco listen? Probably not.”

The department spokeswoman said there had been 3139 visitors to the facility in the past three months.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…

  • Jets pull women’s side

    Jets pull women’s side

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 425636 Greenvale has made the call to pull its women’s side ahead of the Essendon District Football League premier division season. The Jets were…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…