Home » Uncategorized » HAWTHORN: Swinburne University pay dispute ends

HAWTHORN: Swinburne University pay dispute ends

A turbulent two-year dispute over working conditions at Swinburne University has ended in a win for staff.

The National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) has agreed to a settlement with the university that will see 50 new jobs created in a bid to help address the casualisation of the workforce.

The ongoing and fixed-term positions are to be generated for Swinburne’s sessional staff, also called casual academic staff, that have worked with the university for more than four years.

NTEU Swinburne vice president Dr Mark Schier said the union had been campaigning for years to secure better working conditions for Swinburne’s academic staff, the majority of whom were employed by the semester.

He said the dispute had been in and out of the Fair Work Commission a dozen times during the past two years.

“The NTEU has been able to finally resolve the matter and provide genuine security for 50 sessional staff,” he said.

The agreement also means staff who hold PhDs may be appointed as ongoing lecturers, while other positions will be offered to PhD candidates and staff who hold Masters degrees.

NTEU Swinburne Branch Committee member and sessional staff member Dustin Halse said it had been a struggle for the casual workforce, who received only half the superannuation of other staff due to their sessional status.

Halina Sykes, who has worked at Swinburne since 2009, welcomed the opportunity to apply for the new roles.

She said not being entitled to paid maternity leave as a casual employee had recently forced her back to work less than two weeks after having her third child.

Swinburne University’s director of human resources Dr Andrew Smith said the organisation was pleased to take the step to provide greater job security for sessional staff.

“Staff who have taught for at least 72 contact hours in each of 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 will be eligible to apply for these new roles and all appointments will be made on merit,” he said.

“Through the outcomes that have been achieved, we’re pleased to be able to be adding to the depth of Swinburne’s teaching expertise.”

Swinburne University found itself in hot water late last year after being found guilty of contravening its Enterprise Agreement by not consulting properly with staff when deciding to close its Lilydale campus and relocate its Prahran design faculty in 2012.

A Federal Court ruling saw the university dish out $40,000 to several community groups.  Read the full story here.

Digital Editions


  • Experience musical classics live

    Experience musical classics live

    Experience classic musical songs from The Phantom of the Opera to Cats live in South Morang at the premier Michael Crawford tribute show ‘Phantom’. Keith…

More News

  • New look Hume ready to do

    New look Hume ready to do

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 458912 It’s been an off season of change for Hume City in the National Premier League. While Hume finished in seventh and only two…

  • Demons’ ready for challenge

    Demons’ ready for challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 507983 Mernda is hoping to lock in a win this Saturday and with it a spot in at least the Diamond Valley Cricket Association…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…