Home » Sport » Soccer » Hume City makes it three in a row for FFA Cup qualifier
,

Hume City makes it three in a row for FFA Cup qualifier

New Hume City coach Ufuk Kubilayhan didn’t have long to settle into the role but has made his mark early.

Appointed last Monday, Kubilayhan took the reins on Tuesday night as Hume set its sights on qualifying for the national stage of the FFA Cup for a third straight year.

Kubilayhan said he was happy with what he saw first-up from his side in a 4-0 win against Moreland City.

“Moreland City came at us early and were very dangerous,” he said.

“Our team did respond … the confidence we came out with after half-time was good and we dominated and played good transition.”

Kubilayhan’s arrival comes as the club reshuffles it’s coaching panel. Dean Hennessey, who was overseeing the side in a technical manager role has returned to the technical director role.

Hennessey will step back from a lot of the day to day tasks with the senior team and focus more on running the club’s junior program.

David Chick now takes on the role of senior assistant coach.

Kubilayhan said having a stable coaching group behind him made the coaching transition so much easier. And he has a working knowledge of the club.

“I spent two years at Hume coaching their under-15s and under-16s and we won championships back-to-back in 2014-15.

“I went overseas and coached in Europe before coming back to Australia.

“Hume approached me [about taking over the senior coaching role] and I was happy to take on the role with a club with such high stature.”

Kubilayhan was also at the club when Hume made it the last four of the FFA Cup competition in 2015, so knows the excitement that comes with making the last 32 teams in the country.

“It’s important for clubs from state league to NPL to have that goal to work towards. It’s very exciting.”

Last week’s win also seals a semi-final spot in the Dockerty Cup, and Hume is keen to move past the semi-finals for the first time.

It was a short break between games for Hume, they were back in NPL action on Saturday night and defeated St Albans 2-1.

Jayden Prasad opened the scoring in the first half, before Daniel Clark doubled the lead in the 53rd minute. A penalty let St Albans get one back in the 59th minute, but it couldn’t find an equaliser.

Kubilayhan said improved consistency would be one area Hume players would focus on.

In the five games before Kubilayhan took over, Hume had three losses and two draws.

“Consistency is an issue I’ve looked at watching the previous games,” he said.

“Injuries have contributed to that. We’re trying to get it right and to get consistent results in the games ahead of us.”

He said they were also looking at adding a couple more players during the transfer period.

“We’re looking at a few options to strength the squad going forward.”

 

Digital Editions


  • Experience musical classics live

    Experience musical classics live

    Experience classic musical songs from The Phantom of the Opera to Cats live in South Morang at the premier Michael Crawford tribute show ‘Phantom’. Keith…

More News

  • New look Hume ready to do

    New look Hume ready to do

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 458912 It’s been an off season of change for Hume City in the National Premier League. While Hume finished in seventh and only two…

  • Demons’ ready for challenge

    Demons’ ready for challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 507983 Mernda is hoping to lock in a win this Saturday and with it a spot in at least the Diamond Valley Cricket Association…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…