Home » Sport » Clubs respond to disqualification

Clubs respond to disqualification

The two clubs that have been disqualified for the rest of the Essendon District Football League women’s premier division season have responded.

The league on Monday night disqualified the two teams for rest of the season following their preliminary final on Saturday.

The game between Oak Park and Westmeadows at Highgate Reserve on Saturday was called off following an altercation on half time.

The match didn’t resume for the safety of all players, spectators and officials.

Oak Park was leading at the time, 3.3 (21)-0.1 (1).

The league board met on Monday night and it was determined that both Oak Park and Westmeadows are disqualified for the remainder of the 2022 premier division season.

In a statement, the league said it was determined that the conduct displayed in Saturday’s preliminary final had brought the game into disrepute and the behaviour from members of both clubs would not be tolerated at any level by the EDFL.

Aberfeldie, which finished fourth and was knocked out in the first week of finals, was asked to partake in the grand final and accepted.

On Tuesday, both teams released statements.

A statement posted to social media by Oak Park, which has since been taken down but seen by Star Weekly, said the club’s investigation found its players and coaches acted in self defence.

The post also questioned why the match went ahead when earlier games had been halted because of the weather.

“In any circumstances we find the decision from the EDFL board to disqualify us highly unreasonable, after a COVID year with no football, followed by another with no finals for the players, you can understand the devastation our players are feeling right now.

“To simply rip away a grand final from these players is wrong. We are heartbroken for our players, who seem to have not been considered at all in this decision.”

Oak Park posted a second statement on its social media on Wednesday.

“The Oak Park Football Club would like to officially state that we accept the decision handed to the club by the EDFL board regarding the incident that took place during the premier division women’s preliminary final against Westmeadows on Saturday the 13th of August,” it said.

“We understand and acknowledge the disappointment of our players, members and supporters but would like to ask if you could refrain from posting any further comments on social media regarding the incident.”

Westmeadows in its statement said that the club accepts the decision handed down by the board.

“The club acknowledges both clubs were involved in the events which unfolded on Saturday and in no way condone any form of anti-social behaviour in the community,” the statement said.

“We are disappointed and saddened for our players, as well as the players from the Oak Park Football Club, who will miss the opportunity to truly complete their season.

“The Westmeadows Football Club will fully cooperate with the official EDFL investigation into all instances, both on and off the field, and will accept any penalties imposed on individuals or the club once the outcome has been handed down.”

Digital Editions


  • Calling all artists

    Calling all artists

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Applications for the Hume Gallery annual exhibition are now open, offering emerging artists the chance to display their…

More News

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • NFL coming to Melbourne

    NFL coming to Melbourne

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 178232 The National Football League has confirmed that the San Francisco 49ers will play the Los Angeles Rams at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in…

  • Footy films initiative returns

    Footy films initiative returns

    Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF), AFL, and VicScreen have announced that Footy Shorts will return in 2026. The first Footy Shorts lineup proved a winner with audiences, reaching more than…

  • Big boost for Bundoora

    Big boost for Bundoora

    Bundoora United has received a massive boost ahead of the Victorian Premier League women’s competition. After finishing third last season and making the grand final, the side is aiming to…