Home » Sport » Bombers delist five

Bombers delist five

The changes continue for Essendon as it finalises its list heading into the AFLW season eight supplementary draft.

The Bombers announced last week that five more players had been told they would not be offered contracts for next season.

Eloise Ashley-Cooper, Caitlin Sargent, Jorja Borg, Megan Ryan and Federica Frew, who were all part of the club’s inaugural squads have been delisted.

Ashley-Cooper was an integral part of the Bombers’ 2022 Victorian Football League premiership side, with the 20-year-old earning an AFLW spot off the back of three successful years at state league level, however, she spent the AFLW season on the side lines due to a season-ending foot injury.

Borg also was ruled out of season seven after suffering a foot injury in Essendon’s practice match against Port Adelaide and was moved to the inactive list ahead of round one.

Frew was also a VFLW premiership-winning Bomber who was elevated to the AFLW side.

The 26-year-old debuted in the Bombers’ round one victory over the Hawks and played six games.

Sargent committed to the Bombers as an open-age player ahead of their inaugural year but couldn’t break into the AFLW side.

Ryan signed with Essendon as an injury replacement player following Borg’s injury and went on to make her debut in round five against Collingwood, going on to play two games.

Head of AFLW Aysha Ward thanked the five players for their contribution to the Bombers’ inaugural year.

“I would like to thank Eloise, Caitlin, Jorja, Megan and Federica for their investment and dedication throughout our first AFLW season,” Ward said.

“Each player has all influenced the foundations we have built at the club in our inaugural season.”

Digital Editions


  • Experience musical classics live

    Experience musical classics live

    Experience classic musical songs from The Phantom of the Opera to Cats live in South Morang at the premier Michael Crawford tribute show ‘Phantom’. Keith…

More News

  • New look Hume ready to do

    New look Hume ready to do

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 458912 It’s been an off season of change for Hume City in the National Premier League. While Hume finished in seventh and only two…

  • Demons’ ready for challenge

    Demons’ ready for challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 507983 Mernda is hoping to lock in a win this Saturday and with it a spot in at least the Diamond Valley Cricket Association…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…