Home » Sport » Barber makes the cut

Barber makes the cut

As co-captain of the Calder Cannons boys team in the Coates Talent League, Jackson Barber was already one of Victoria’s elite junior footballers.

But after recently being named in the Vic Metro squad for this year’s National Under 18 Championships, Barber could soon become an elite footballer regardless of the age group.

The 197cm key defender from EDFL club Aberfeldie, is one of five Cannons selected for the Vic Metro team which will take on Vic Country, South Australia, Western Australia and the Allies at the championships held throughout June and July.

“It’s unreal,” said Barber of his selection which was an early birthday present, coming just days before he turned 18 on June 1.

“It’s really good to get the opportunity.”

That opportunity is to test himself against the best under 18 players in the country and to do so in front of recruiters from all AFL clubs.

The vast majority of players drafted to the AFL play at the National Under 18 Championships and with tall defenders hard to come by, a strong performance could result in Barber’s name being called at the National Draft in November..

Fortunately, performing well in front of selectors is something Barber is already used to, with his invite to the Vic Metro training squad based on his performances for the Cannons in the first three rounds of this season.

“I don’t think it was my best three rounds but I clearly did enough to get an invite,” said Barber, who then played in trial matches against Vic Country and the Young Guns in order to gain selection for the final team.

Barber had just arrived home after a training session last week when Cannons boys coach Sam Willat and talent lead Sebastian Spagnulo called with the good news.

“Sam and Seb gave me a ring after and said ‘have you checked your emails,’ but I‘d already seen it,” recalled Barber of how he found out about his selection.

“I was stoked.”

Barber will join Cannons teammates Cooper Duff-Tyler, Hussein El Achkar, Felix Kneipp and Adam Swied in the Vic Metro side which will begin its campaign against South Australia at Alberton Oval in Adelaide on Sunday, June 8.

This year’s championships is spread out across the country, with Vic Metro playing in Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane before finally returning home for their last game against Vic Country at RSEA Park in Moorabbin on July 20.

Barber said the travel was one of the things he was most looking forward to about playing in the championships, along with the chance to showcase his talents against the nation’s best.

As for whether that could land him on an AFL list, the young defender responded like a seasoned veteran.

“At the moment I’m just focusing on each game at a time.”

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…