Home » News » Whittlesea council tests the water for 50-metre pool at Mernda

Whittlesea council tests the water for 50-metre pool at Mernda

The power of social media has prevailed in Mernda, with Whittlesea council agreeing to consider building a 50-metre pool in the suburb.

The council has faced considerable backlash from residents in the past month over its plans for the proposed Mernda aquatic centre.

At its February 12 meeting, the council decided to seek business cases on building an aquatic centre with and without a 25-metre lap pool.

At the time, the council said it could not afford to build a 50-metre pool.

Residents took to social media to slam the decision, labelling the council as out of touch with the community.

A poll on the Mernda Residents Noticeboard found that 712 people want a 50-metre pool, compared to 103 people who want a 25-metre pool. A Facebook page, Extend the Pool in Mernda, was also started. To date, it has attracted more than 1100 likes.

At last week’s council meeting, Cr Tom Joseph moved an urgent motion asking for a report on the cost of a 50-metre competition pool, including a moveable boom to divide it into two 25-metre pools, venue seating and disabled access.

Cr Joseph said it was important the council listened to the community.

Cr Ricky Kirkham, who asked for a business case for a 50-metre pool at the February meeting, said it was good the council was recognising it was “out of touch”.

“The community overwhelmingly supports a 50-metre competition pool,” he said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 471376 Northern FL South Morang has locked in one of its own for the Northern Football League division 2 season. Tyson Gresham, who was…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…