Home » News » Updated NAPLAN tests get underway

Updated NAPLAN tests get underway

The state government will make NAPLAN results easier-to-understand for parents and carers, with reforms to the annual test providing a clearer picture on how their child is performing at school.

More than 300,000 students at 2350 Victorian schools started the annual NAPLAN tests on Wednesday, March 15.

Among new changes to improve and modernise NAPLAN, the tests have been moved forward to March to enable the crucial data to better support students and target assistance earlier in the year.

New proficiency standards with four levels of achievement will replace the previous 10-band structure and the old national minimum standard set in 2008 when tests were on paper.

Each child’s NAPLAN report will show how they’re tracking against their peers using four easy-to-understand standards: developing, approaching proficient, proficient and highly proficient.

This year the test will take place fully online, with the exception of the Grade 3 writing test, which will be on paper.

NAPLAN will continue to measure student achievement in numeracy, reading, writing, spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Education Minister Natalie Hutchins said the start of the updated NAPLAN tests is “an exciting day for students across the state”.

“I wish each and every one of them the best of luck as they embark on this year’s NAPLAN test,” she said.

“The changes to NAPLAN reporting and timing will provide more informative and useful information to schools, parents and carers.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 471376 Northern FL South Morang has locked in one of its own for the Northern Football League division 2 season. Tyson Gresham, who was…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…