Home » News » Sunbury auditors to stage public meeting

Sunbury auditors to stage public meeting

Transition auditors reviewing Sunbury’s planned separation from Hume say they’ve welcomed the opportunity to hear different points of view in the lead-up to a public meeting.

John Watson and Frank Vincent have sat down with residents and community groups in recent weeks after offering face-to-face meetings as part of the consultation phase of the review process.

The meetings follow the release of information sheets outlining details of the 2013 poll that led to Sunbury’s secession and the potential impact on rates in Sunbury and Hume, service delivery and population growth.

Mr Watson, the Brimbank council chairman of administrators, and Mr Vincent, a former judge of the Supreme Court, were appointed by the state government in March with a brief to review the Sunbury split.

The former Liberal government had gazetted papers for the creation of a new Sunbury council to start on July 1 this year.

In a statement, Mr Watson and Mr Vincent encouraged Sunbury and Hume residents to again share their views at this Friday’s meeting at Sunbury Memorial Hall.

The auditors have promised to report back to the government before August 31.

‘‘This is an issue that will affect the local community now and well into the future, and we encourage everyone with an interest in the separation of Sunbury to also make a formal submission before July 29,’’ they said.

‘‘Your submissions addressing questions arising from our community information and engagement program are fundamental to our report and recommendations.’’

Mr Watson and Mr Vincent have downplayed calls to ensure security guards are present at the public meeting.

The calls came after the previous public meeting on the controversial subject led to fiery disputes between members of the public and a probe into the alleged misbehaviour of Sunbury-based councillors Jack Medcraft and Jack Ogilvie.

The pair, who fronted two investigations, complained they were “ambushed” by agitators waving placards at last September’s meeting at Broadmeadows Town Hall.

Earlier this month, Cr Medcraft said a strong security presence was needed to prevent a repeat of what happened last year.

“I hope it doesn’t turn into an event where people are targeted because their views are different from that of others,’’ he said.

Friday’s meeting, at which the auditors will present an overview and answer questions, will be led by an independent facilitator. The meeting will at Sunbury Memorial Hall from 7pm. Submissions can be emailed to sunburyhume.transition@delwp.vic.gov.au

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…