Home » News » Private midwives to deliver babies at Northern Hospital

Private midwives to deliver babies at Northern Hospital

Parents will be able to pay private midwives to deliver their babies at Northern Hospital as part of a trial program beginning next year.

The state government announced last week that Northern Hospital would be one of two hospitals to take part in a pilot program that will allow private midwives to act as primary carers for women giving birth.

The trial, the result of a Labor Party pre-election commitment, will begin mid-next year at the Epping hospital with between four and six private midwives.

Monash Health is also taking part in the trial, which is expected to guide the roll-out of the initiative to hospitals across the state.

Northern Health chief executive officer Siva Sivarajah said this model would allow women and their families to have private midwives look after them before and after the births of their babies.

“Continuity of maternity care has been shown to improve outcomes and patient satisfaction,” he said.

“Under this collaborative model, women can give birth in hospital receiving care from their known midwife.

“If medical support is required, the midwife will transfer care to the medical team but remain involved.”

Lisa Fitzpatrick
Lisa Fitzpatrick

The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation is supportive of the trial.

Federation Victorian branch secretary Lisa Fitzpatrick said “greater collaboration between midwives, health facilities and obstetricians is much needed”.

Australian College of Midwives vice-president Michelle Newton, said women were currently choosing to birth at home so as to have their private midwives with them.

“This has been very much consumer driven,” Dr Newton said. “Women have been very vocal about wanting this level of care.”

Currently women who use private midwives aren’t able to have them provide midwifery care during births in public hospitals.

Health Minister Jill Hennessy is encouraging women to participate in the trial.

There is no limit to the number of women allowed to take part in the program.

“As promised, we’re giving Victorian women more choice about their maternity care,” she said. “Many women want to have a familiar voice and trusted caregiver with them during labour.

“Pregnancy and birthing can be scary … this initiative means women will be able to have the same midwife from the start of their pregnancy through to birth and the weeks beyond.”

She said the private midwives taking part in the trial would be regulated by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.

Planning for the programs is under way.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…

  • Jets pull women’s side

    Jets pull women’s side

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 425636 Greenvale has made the call to pull its women’s side ahead of the Essendon District Football League premier division season. The Jets were…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…