Home » News » MP blasts care provider

MP blasts care provider

Heritage Care Epping Garden is “not fit” to hold accreditation as an aged care operator, according to Scullin MP Andrew Giles.

Speaking in federal Parliament late last month ahead of the release of final report from the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, Mr Giles described the deaths of 38 people following a COVID-19 outbreak at Epping Gardens last year as a “preventable tragedy”.

According to Mr Giles, an independent report released last year found that frontline workers hired to fill staffing gaps at the nursing home had little experience in aged care.

“I remain deeply concerned that Heritage Care Epping Gardens is not fit to hold accreditation as an aged care operator,” Mr Giles said.

“[The report found that] poor infection control, inadequate emergency planning and deficient leadership at the facility were also significant factors in these tragic deaths.

“It’s clear: this facility needs to be better managed.

“We owe it to those who lost their lives to learn from this tragedy and never see it repeated.”

The royal commission’s final report, which was released last Monday, found there was “unacceptably high levels of substandard care” across the country’s aged care system.

Commissioners Tony Pagone and Lynelle Briggs made 148 recommendations including a new aged care act, a minimum quality and safety standard for staff time and more funding.

In response to the report Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced $452 million in funding to address immediate concerns.

Mr Giles last week told Star Weekly the final royal commission report highlighted “appalling neglect” in the aged care system.

“The final report shows the scale of the challenge that we have to grapple with,” he said.

“It’s really important that we do justice to the findings.

“We need to come together to find a response, as a nation.

“I hope [the report is] a wake up call not just for Epping Gardens but across the community.”

Mr Giles said a “real failure of regulation” was clear.

“What we’ve seen here is a pattern of concerning issues… and what happened in the pandemic highlighted those issues,” Mr Giles said.

“We should have had a regulatory system in place that prevented this from happening.

“Those issues should have been obvious to the regulator and providers.”

Nicole McGuinness, whose mother died after contracting COVID-19 at Epping Gardens last year, said aged care is in a “total mess”.

“What my family went through was horrific,” Ms McGuinness said.

“I don’t want this to ever happen again.

“Elderly citizens deserve so much better than what they have.”

Ms McGuinness said she hoped the royal commission would bring about change.

“I just want to see change. The system has failed and we need to fix it.

“I’m sceptical about these reports… [there is] a lot of truth I don’t think goes into them.”

Heritage Care was approached for comment.

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…