Home » News » Man faces court 34 years after wife’s alleged murder

Man faces court 34 years after wife’s alleged murder

A man accused of murdering his wife more than three decades ago has faced court for the first time.

Craig Freeman, 63, appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court via video link on Wednesday after he was charged over Melinda Freeman’s death.

Mrs Freeman was 26 when she was found dead in her Whittlesea home, in Melbourne’s outer north, on October 4, 1991.

Prosecutors did not outline the allegations against Freeman during his brief court appearance.

The 63-year-old only spoke to confirm he could hear the magistrate from the police cells.

His lawyer Paul Galbally told the court it was his client’s first time in custody and he would need to see a nurse because he previously suffered a stroke.

Freeman did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody ahead of his next court hearing in March.

Police previously said Mrs Freeman and her husband spent the day of her alleged murder with immediate family to celebrate her sister’s return from overseas.

The couple returned to their home on Yea Road about 4pm.

Later, Freeman left the house and took their nine-month-old son to a card game to give his wife time to study for her beauty course.

When they returned at 11.30pm, the house looked like it had been ransacked and the front door was open.

Freeman claimed he found his wife’s body lying on the landing on the top storey of the house.

In 2018, police received an anonymous tip-off about Mrs Freeman’s death.

A $1 million reward was offered by police in 2022 for information leading to the arrest and subsequent conviction of anyone responsible for her death.

Digital Editions


More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 471376 Northern FL South Morang has locked in one of its own for the Northern Football League division 2 season. Tyson Gresham, who was…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…