Home » News » Families left in limbo as Bentley Homes collapses

Families left in limbo as Bentley Homes collapses

At 3.30pm on Friday 30 June Ronald Brown learnt the company building his dream house had suddenly collapsed.

Along with dozens of other anxious Bentley Homes customers, he started his weekend unsuccessfully trying to reach insurers and liquidators to determine the fate of the partially built homes.

“Everything we have is in that house, it just breaks your spirit,“ Mr Brown told AAP.

He and his wife have paid close to $300,000 for their home in Doreen in Melbourne’s north but are now unsure if they will be able to move in as planned in September.

The couple work five jobs between them and fear they will be unable to pay their rent and mortgage if there are any more delays.

“It’s not like we can just take on more work because we’re already at capacity,“ Mr Brown said.

“Our biggest concern at the moment is the financial stress and worry about how we’re going to continue paying for everything.“

Mr Brown believes their insurance policy should pay out about $80,000 but is yet to hear confirmation this will happen, describing this weekend as a waiting game.

AAP understands about 50 customers have been impacted by the liquidation.

On Friday, Timothy Holden of insolvency firm Crouch Amirbeaggi was appointed liquidator.

Mr Holden told AAP he was in the early stages of gathering information and would be in a position to report to creditors and homeowners early next week.

The building company cited economic pressures for its demise in an email to customers.

“Unfortunately, this leaves us in a position where we are unable to carry out any further works,“ Bentley Homes said in the email.

“Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your new home journey.“

Mr Brown visited his home under construction early on Saturday and contractors had already loaded materials onto trucks.

“I need to know the timeframes, I need to know options,“ Mr Brown said.

“If we know what they say then at least we can try to make a plan, go to the bank, talk to the bank, try to find a builder or someone that’ll be willing to complete it.“

A government spokesperson said liquidation was a trigger for domestic building insurance which all companies had to take out on behalf of customers by law.

“We understand the distress that customers will be feeling and urge them to follow the directions of their insurance policies,“ they said.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…

  • Jets pull women’s side

    Jets pull women’s side

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 425636 Greenvale has made the call to pull its women’s side ahead of the Essendon District Football League premier division season. The Jets were…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…