Home » News » Extra trams for tennis

Extra trams for tennis

Tennis fans heading to Melbourne Park for the upcoming Australian Open will have the journey made easier thanks to free travel and extra public transport services being served up by the state government.

An extra 4,500 tram services on Route 70a will shuttle Australian Open ticket holders and staff for free across the two week event – with trams set to run every two to three minutes during busy periods throughout the day.

For the first time, night buses will depart from Federation Square 40 minutes after play concludes on a range of popular public transport routes.

The limited service will run no later than 2.00am on Sunday to Thursday nights, with regular night network services operating over the weekend.

Tennis fans taking the train to Flinders Street Station can connect with a tram to Melbourne Park or walk across the Tanderrum Bridge through Birrarung Marr to the garden square entrance.

Richmond Station is a short walk along Olympic Boulevard to the grand slam entrance and Jolimont Station is also close by via a short walk through Yarra Park.

Acting public and active transport minister Colin Brooks said the world’s largest tram network would help people attend one of the world’s largest tennis tournaments.

“We’re making it easier for thousands of tennis fans to get to and from Melbourne Park using public transport,” Mr Brooks said.

Last year, almost half a million trips were taken to the tennis by tram – representing about half the record 1,020,763 crowd over the two-week tournament.

The main draw of the 2025 Australian Open runs between January 12 and 26.

For more information about services to the Australian Open, visit ptv.vic.gov.au.

Digital Editions


More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 471376 Northern FL South Morang has locked in one of its own for the Northern Football League division 2 season. Tyson Gresham, who was…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…