Home » News » Complete Mickleham Road duplication

Complete Mickleham Road duplication

Liberal Northern Metropolitan MP Evan Mulholland is calling for the state government to go back to the drawing board to speed up completion of the duplication of Mickleham Road.

Plans have been announced for the duplication of the Mickleham Road at Greenvale from Somerton Road to Dellamere Boulevard.

But Mr Mulholland said locals are calling for the project to include the busy stretch from Dellamore Boulevard to Craigieburn Road to reduce travel times.

“The state government reckons it will cost taxpayers well over $200 million to duplicate a road by only 1.6 kilometres,” he said.

“But I’ve met with the Hume City Council on this and they tell me their engineers estimated they could have done the entire job for $145 million and gone further out to Mt Ridley Road.”

Mr Mulholland said he welcomed the $213 million worth of funding, but said more action was needed to be done to compete the whole duplication.

He raised the issue in the parliament last week, calling on the Transport and Infrastructure Minister Jacinta Allan to urgently investigate the issue.

“Stop taking the Mickey with Mickleham Road – and get the job done properly,” he said.

“I also revealed in parliament that the Victorian minister had now put the cost of the project at $222 million in a letter she sent to the council.

“That would represent a near $10 million cost blowout, with barely a shovel put in the ground.”

Hume councillor Jim Overend said the council has been trying to get answers from the government as to why this duplication is costing so much.

He said with thousands of new residents in Craigieburn West precinct structure plan site would be using the road that is already congested.

“If we were to go by the state government’s estimates, the total cost would be around $1.3 billion – who would give us that sort of money?” he said.

“The Victorian government needs to explain why the road can’t be duplicated further with the $213 million that has been provided.”

According to the government, the costings have taken into account a range of factors including land acquisition and the relocation and protection of utilities such as a jet fuel pipe that serves Melbourne Airport, as well as escalated costs of services, resources and materials being felt across the construction industry.

“All of our costings are based on the advice of hard working road engineers, who deliver upgrades to some of the biggest arterial roads in Melbourne,” a government spokesperson said.

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…