Cats rescued from garage fire

Two cats suffered smoke inhalation at the scene.

Michaela Meade

Two cats were rescued from a Westmeadows house following a garage fire yesterday.

Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV) crews were called to the Kenny Street house about 7.30am.

Firefighters arrived on the scene to find the fire threatening an adjoining two-storey townhouse.

The fire was brought under control within about 30 minutes.

FRV said two cats suffered smoke inhalation and were revived.

It is unclear if anyone was home at the time of the blaze.

Police and paramedics also attended the incident.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a charging battery overheating.