Home » News » South Morang fire station gets full-time firefighters

South Morang fire station gets full-time firefighters

For the first time, South Morang fire station has paid, full-time firefighters taking the pressure off volunteers.

Country Fire Authority’s operations manager, Trevor Roberts, says the station now has three full-time firefighters based at South Morang during business hours. The new arrangement began on Monday last week,

Volunteers will continue to respond to calls after hours.

Mr Roberts said the CFA had changed its response to cater for South Morang’s booming population. Latest Australian Bureau of Statistics figures name the suburb as the fastest-growing in the nation.

“Over the past decade, we have seen a steep rise in population and an equivalent rise in numbers of incidents requiring CFA attendance, and this trend is expected to continue,” Mr Roberts said.

“South Morang is a strong brigade and a busy brigade that has kept homes and families safe through dedication and commitment over many years.

“This change is about taking some of the pressure off volunteers and their families.”

The “career firefighters” will work side by side with the South Morang brigade’s volunteer members. Former Sunbury firefighter Adam Whitford, one of the three career firefighters to begin work at South Morang, said his first priority would be to familiarise himself with the area.

“Local knowledge will be indispensable,” he said. “We’ll be tapping into the brigade’s knowledge and community contacts and looking to pick up as much knowledge as we can as quickly as we can.”

The fire station will transition to a 24-hour staffing model later this year.

The CFA has 1200 brigades, but just 34 of them have paid, full-time staff.

Digital Editions


More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 471376 Northern FL South Morang has locked in one of its own for the Northern Football League division 2 season. Tyson Gresham, who was…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…