Home » Sport » Football » Metro snub gets Knights star a ticket to AFL draft
,

Metro snub gets Knights star a ticket to AFL draft

Brayden Fiorini used an early-season snub from Vic Metro as the catalyst to kick-start his 2015 season.

After initially being left out of the Metro squad, the Northern Knights midfielder set himself the target of getting in.

“It was a good challenge and a goal I set myself,” Fiorini said last week. “I didn’t make the first squad. I trained really hard and knew that if I performed well I could be added to it.”

Fiorini, 18, ended up playing three games for Metro in the national carnival and put his name in front of AFL recruiters.

In 13 games with the Knights, he averaged more than 30 possessions.

“It was a bit challenging juggling school, footy and work,” he said. “But it was really exciting and it went so quickly.

“I started the season a bit slowly, but the Vic Metro games gave me more confidence.

“It was a good experience and a bit different from [his first season with the Knights] and I took on more of a leadership role.”

Fiorini also looked at how he could develop his game.

“One of the negative knocks on my game was contested football,” he said. “I had to improve on it if I wanted to be drafted.

“I played different positions to help develop that.

“I’m still known as an outside player, but I can now go into the middle.

“My strengths are my decision-making, reading the play and kicking skills to help set up play.”

The growth of Fiorini’s game saw him invited to the national draft combine.

“Playing AFL has always been my dream,” Fiorini said.

“The combine was mentally draining and when I got home I went straight to bed.”

The Diamond Creek resident hasn’t had much time yet to think about the November 24 draft as he finished his year 12 exams only last week.

He’s looking at doing something sport-related at university next year.

“It’s a bit nerve wrecking and a bit exciting,” Fiorini said. “I just want it to happen.

“I’ve been focusing on school and the girlfriend has been keeping me calm.”

He said he had spoken to most AFL clubs in the lead-up to the draft.

“It was pretty daunting but I got used to it,” he said.

“It was sort of like a job interview and there were a few left-field questions. Now I’ve just got to wait and see.”

 

Digital Editions


  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at…

More News

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…