Home » News » Calls for swift decision on Sunbury split

Calls for swift decision on Sunbury split

Community leaders have urged the state government to finally decide whether Sunbury will split from Hume.

Transition auditors John Watson and Frank Vincent were expected to present their report and recommendations to Local Government Minister Natalie Hutchins yesterday.

The pair were appointed by the Labor government in March with a brief to review the separation processes, after the former Liberal government gazetted formal notices that a new Sunbury council would start on July 1 this year.

But the split was put on hold after Ms Hutchins said too many questions remained unanswered.

A government spokeswoman said the transition auditors were on track to deliver their report by the August 31 deadline.

‘‘The government will consider the report and make it public later this year,’’ the minister said.

Council chief executive Domenic Isola said the people of Hume had been waiting a long time and needed to know.

‘‘Now that the work has been completed, we urge the state government to make a decision on the issue so our community can plan for the future with more certainty,’’ he said.

Hume’s Sunbury-based councillor, Ann Potter, agreed.

‘‘I understand they have to absorb the report, but the community, the council … we all need to know,’’ she said. ‘‘I would hope they would do it sooner rather than later.’’

Fellow Hume councillor and Sunbury resident Jack Medcraft said he was sick of delays. ‘‘This has been the greatest denial of natural democracy I’ve ever seen,’’ he said. ‘‘No one knows what’s going on.’’

Sunbury Residents Association president Bernie O’Farrell said people had been kept waiting long enough.

‘‘Our expectation has always been that it would be released shortly after it was received,’’ he said. ‘‘The entire exercise is unnecessary.

“All they’ve done is go over the reports, which the previous government was satisfied showed it [a stand alone Sunbury council] was viable. They said they would honour the gazettal. They went back on that,’’ Mr O’Farrell said.

Visiting Sunbury earlier this month, Premier Daniel Andrews rejected claims the audit process was a sham.

He told Star Weekly the government was serious about the review, and would wait for the report before making any decisions.

Opposition leader Matthew Guy and Western Metropolitan Liberal MP Bernie Finn have described the audit as a hoax, saying they held out little hope that an independent Sunbury would go ahead.

Mr Andrews said the government would act quickly on the auditors’ report.

Digital Editions


  • Experience musical classics live

    Experience musical classics live

    Experience classic musical songs from The Phantom of the Opera to Cats live in South Morang at the premier Michael Crawford tribute show ‘Phantom’. Keith…

More News

  • New look Hume ready to do

    New look Hume ready to do

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 458912 It’s been an off season of change for Hume City in the National Premier League. While Hume finished in seventh and only two…

  • Demons’ ready for challenge

    Demons’ ready for challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 507983 Mernda is hoping to lock in a win this Saturday and with it a spot in at least the Diamond Valley Cricket Association…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…