Home » News » Sunbury secession: Minister heralds mapping of breakaway Sunbury shire

Sunbury secession: Minister heralds mapping of breakaway Sunbury shire

Hume council faces another year or two to deal with Sunbury’s agenda to excise itself from the municipality, while the state government tries to lay the blame for the debacle at the feet of Labor.

Local Government Minister Jeanette Powell last week announced she would set up a panel to recommend new municipal boundaries for a separate Sunbury shire.

“The Sunbury and Hume communities delivered a strong message at the ballot box in favour of separation and the Coalition government will honour that decision,” the minister said.

Her announcement came the day after upper house MP Bernie Finn told State Parliament that “people right across Hume are very supportive of the move for Sunbury to go it alone”.

RELATED: ‘No’ campaigners state their case

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Post a comment below

Mrs Powell echoed Mr Finn’s parliamentary discourse, saying the Napthine government’s commitment to give Sunbury residents a vote on their future stood in stark contrast to the former Brumby government, which, she claimed, reneged on a 1999 promise to let the Sunbury community vote on the matter.

However, the statements by both Liberal MPs contradict information sourced by Northern Weekly, including a December 15, 1999 letter from then local government minister Bob Cameron to then Hume mayor and current Hume councillor Jack Ogilvie, noting that “it was agreed that you would put to the council that a voluntary poll be held in the City of Hume at the time of the council elections in March 2000 to the effect that residents are asked whether they support the council requesting the minister to appoint a panel to investigate the impacts of the Sunbury area becoming a separate municipality”.

Cr Ogilvie has been a driving force behind Sunbury’s secession from Hume, yet in October, 2000 a local government review panel report to Mr Cameron noted that Hume council had “deferred a decision” on holding a poll of Hume residents during that election, while the Sunbury Residents Association “opposed the undertaking of this voluntary poll on the basis that it only wanted residents and ratepayers of the Sunbury area to be polled”.

“The minister has no power under the Local Government Act 1989 to compel the council to call a poll”, the report stated. 

Digital Editions


  • Experience musical classics live

    Experience musical classics live

    Experience classic musical songs from The Phantom of the Opera to Cats live in South Morang at the premier Michael Crawford tribute show ‘Phantom’. Keith…

More News

  • New look Hume ready to do

    New look Hume ready to do

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 458912 It’s been an off season of change for Hume City in the National Premier League. While Hume finished in seventh and only two…

  • Demons’ ready for challenge

    Demons’ ready for challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 507983 Mernda is hoping to lock in a win this Saturday and with it a spot in at least the Diamond Valley Cricket Association…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…