Home » News » Sunbury decides: Powell ponders the value of ‘yes’ vote

Sunbury decides: Powell ponders the value of ‘yes’ vote

Has Pandora’s box already been opened by the Napthine government’s Sunbury out of Hume poll?

Premier Denis Napthine reportedly prefers it remains shut, but speculation continues as Sunbury councillor Jack Ogilvie insists Local Government Minister Jeanette Powell has all the ammunition she needs to bring in commissioners – “a Wangaratta solution” as one onlooker called it – to extricate Sunbury from the rest of Hume.

As mayor of Hume in 2000, Cr Ogilvie asked then local government minister Bob Cameron to hold a poll, which the minister recommended be undertaken alongside council elections because of the high cost of a stand-alone poll. The poll did not eventuate.

RELATED: Vote spawns uncertainty about future

The stand-alone poll on October 25 this year fulfilled an election promise by the Liberal-led state Coalition government to test the waters with voters across the whole of Hume.

Slightly more than 50 per cent of those eligible returned their ballots. Of those who did, 60 per cent overall said “yes” to letting Sunbury leave Hume council.

In the Sunbury area itself, 67 per cent of returned votes said “yes”, as did 64 per cent in Diggers Rest and Bulla. And 59 per cent of former Bulla shire ratepayers at Craigieburn also offered to show their former neighbours the door.

Is this a conclusive vote? That’s the conundrum for Mrs Powell and her team at Local Government Victoria.

“I am now carefully considering the results as to whether to establish a local government panel, as required by the Local Government Act, to provide advice to the government on any changes to the municipal boundaries,” the minister told the Weekly.

Meanwhile, Cr Ogilvie has already extended the boundaries of his envisioned new shire to include Tullamarine and the airport, a move never envisaged in the poll put to the people.

He told the Weekly he believed Hume councillors would “get the flick” about August next year to make way for commissioners to come in and divide up the assets. “Commissioners will have to come in and they won’t just be running the shire of Sunbury,” Cr Ogilvie said.

This view runs counter to what the minister told the media, however.

“The current Hume city councillors were elected last year to serve a four-year term,” Mrs Powell said.

“At the state and federal level, electorate redistributions take effect at the next general election.

“If there was to be any change to a municipal boundary, it would be reasonable to introduce any new arrangements at the next municipal elections in October, 2016.”

Digital Editions


  • Experience musical classics live

    Experience musical classics live

    Experience classic musical songs from The Phantom of the Opera to Cats live in South Morang at the premier Michael Crawford tribute show ‘Phantom’. Keith…

More News

  • New look Hume ready to do

    New look Hume ready to do

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 458912 It’s been an off season of change for Hume City in the National Premier League. While Hume finished in seventh and only two…

  • Demons’ ready for challenge

    Demons’ ready for challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 507983 Mernda is hoping to lock in a win this Saturday and with it a spot in at least the Diamond Valley Cricket Association…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…