Home » News » $100,000 fine after worker’s five-metre fall

$100,000 fine after worker’s five-metre fall

A property renovation and maintenance company has been fined $100,000 after a contractor’s five-metre fall at a Campbellfield factory left him with serious injuries.

On 27 November, Konstrukteur Pty Ltd pleaded guilty to two charges of failing to ensure people other than employees were not exposed to health and safety risks.

WorkSafe chief health and safety officer Sam Jenkin said there is no excuse for neglect or putting workers at risk of falling.

“Falls risks are well-known and it is disappointing to see such a tragic outcome that could have been avoided with training and fall prevention measures,” Mr Jenkin said.

In April 2023, the 35-year-old contractor fell 5.5 metres through a void in the factory rooftop onto the concrete floor below.

A WorkSafe investigation found Konstrukteur’s safe work method statement (SWMS), was not signed off, specific to the site, or made available to workers.

In the Broadmeadows Magistrates Court, the company was fined with conviction and also ordered to pay additional costs of $5373.

The court heard none of the workers on site had been provided with training for safe working at height.

According to WorkSafe, the company admitted that a prepared SWMS and fall arrest system, such as a safety harness, would have reduced the risk of falls.

On the day of the fall, the contractor and a supervisor were installing new corrugated iron sheets on the rooftop and neither were wearing a harness.

They were removing the old sheets one at a time, exposing an open void each time before it was covered by a replacement sheet.

After one of the sheets was removed, the supervisor turned his back and did not see the contractor fall.

The contractor was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries and placed on life-support before undergoing multiple surgeries.

Mr Jenkin said by failing to prepare and strictly follow a SWMS, this employer left workers unprotected.

“Sadly the injured person is now living with the disastrous consequences of that negligence,” he said.

WorkSafe urges employers to implement the highest possible measures to prevent falls in the workplace.

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…