Home » News » Another man charged over synagogue fire

Another man charged over synagogue fire

A Meadow Heights man has been charged over the alleged arson attack at the Adass Israel Synagogue in Ripponlea in December last year.

The 20-year-old was charged by the Victorian Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) on Thursday, August 21, with arson, conduct endangering life and theft of a motor vehicle. He remains in custody and is expected to face Melbourne Magistrates Court on August 27.

Police allege he was one of three men who broke into the synagogue on December 6, 2024, before deliberately setting it on fire. The charges follow a search warrant executed at a Meadow Heights home last week, where electronic devices and other items were seized for forensic examination.

The latest arrest is the second in recent weeks. On July 30, a Werribee man, 21, was also charged over his alleged involvement, while in July last year, a Melton South man was charged with allegedly stealing the vehicle used in the attack. Police believe the same blue Volkswagen Golf was also used in the LUX Nightclub arson attack in November 2024.

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Counter Terrorism Tess Walsh said the investigation was progressing and warned further arrests were likely.

“There is no place for this type of offending in our state, and we will be relentless in pursuing those who are prepared to engage in these acts of violence,” she said.

AFP Acting Assistant Commissioner Nick Read said the JCTT remained “laser focused” on holding those responsible to account.

Anyone with information can contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400.

Digital Editions


More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 471376 Northern FL South Morang has locked in one of its own for the Northern Football League division 2 season. Tyson Gresham, who was…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…