Home » News » Whittlesea’ war on waste

Whittlesea’ war on waste

People who dump commercial quantities of waste in Whittlesea could be named and shamed as the council ramps up its efforts to tackle its mounting waste problem.

A waste taskforce was formed earlier this year in a bid to prevent the illegal dumping of rubbish.

A report to the March 18 council meeting said that taskforce aims to educate people about the impacts of illegally dumped rubbish and raise awareness of available waste disposal services; works with police, WorkSafe and the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) to conduct surveillance of dumping hotspots; organises rapid collection teams; and works to offenders.

The report asked that council chief executive Craig Lloyd consider publicising when offenders are caught illegally dumping commercial quantities of waste by publicly disclosing their names, photos, and details of the offending (where legally permissible), through official media and social media channels.

The request was supported by council, with councillors also agreeing to write to local MPs, the treasurer and environment minister request funding from the state government’s Landfill Levy be provided to council to offset expenses associated with the increase in illegally dumped rubbish.

According to the report, Whittlesea residents reported 3242 cases of illegally dumped rubbish between September and March.

Wollert recorded the highest number of incidents at 680, followed by Epping (628), Thomastown (477), Lalor (268), South Morang (250) and Mill Park (236).

The report said that a lack of community knowledge about waste disposal options, a disregard for environmental regulations, avoidance of disposal costs, restricted operating hours of landfill sites and increases in the waste levy were contributing to the rise in illegally dumped rubbish.

The taskforce ran two compliance and enforcement operations targeting Mason Quarter, The Patch, Wollert Rise, Findonview, Stonefields, Lyndarum North, and Arramont estates, responding to 403 incidents of dumped rubbish. It issues 179 notices ordering the rubbish be removed, 58 infringements and removed rubbish from 63 public sites, the report said.

Cr Lawrie Cox said a large part of the issue was caused by people who dumped rubbish they had been paid to remove.

“These are the people we are particularly after,” he said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 471376 Northern FL South Morang has locked in one of its own for the Northern Football League division 2 season. Tyson Gresham, who was…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…