Home » News » Social media ‘attacks’ spark complaint

Social media ‘attacks’ spark complaint

Whittlesea councillors frustrated by “personal attacks” and “misinformation” on social media will lodge a complaint to the nation’s e-safety commissioner.

Ten of the city’s councillors – Martin Taylor, David Lenberg, Christine Stow, Lawrie Cox, Stevan Kozmevski, Jarrod Lappin, Deb Gunn, Blair Colwell, Nic Brooks and deputy mayor Daniela Zinni – unanimously voted to lodge a formal complaint with the commissioner’s office in relation to “misinformation being published on social media pages targeting individuals and the City of Whittlesea” during Tuesday’s council meeting.

Mayor Aidan McLindon was not in attendance at the meeting.

The 10 councillors also voted for Cr Zinni to write to Local Government Victoria, the Municipal Association of Victoria and the Victorian Local Governance Association on behalf of council, seeking their support in “combatting misinformation and personal attacks of this nature”.

An urgent business motion on the issue, raised by Cr Taylor, stated that the impact of the personal attacks and spread of false information and untruths about those working at council on people’s wellbeing could not be underestimated.

“We call for it to stop immediately,” the motion read.

The councillors did not specify which social media pages the motion referred to.

Cr Taylor said the wider councillor group has been working “effectively” for the community and was resigned to providing good governance.

“As a result of that, council are not able in some occasions to be able to make comment about certain matters before it. But what council can do is effectively undertake the actions in this motion,” he said.

“We will not tolerate the misinformation and the attacks that have been occurring on people both within council and councillors, and this is an action that reflects that we are going to now start addressing – within the boundaries of the law – some of this misinformation that people have been affected by.”

Cr Lenberg said councillors were silent on certain matters as an internal arbitration process was taking place.

He said that what has been occurring on social media has been “absolutely absurd”, adding that he had been contacted by residents who were concerned council’s voice was not being heard.

Cr Zinni said the “misinformation and targeted abuse” had the potential to “erode public trust, undermine decision-making processes and good governance” and could deter community participation in local democracy.

“This has raised significant concerns across a lot of councils in Victoria including Melton, Moonee Valley, Stonnington, Port Phillip and Hepburn,” she said.

“These media outlets have a real potential to disrupt good governance of a good council.”

Cr Cox said the current council was working better than any council had had previously been a part of, because there were 10 councillors “united in delivering the benefits for the community”.

He said the misinformation has gone “beyond a joke” and had prompted him – and several other councillors – to make a personal statement on social media over the weekend, which led to some people attacking his credibility and integrity.

The personal statement posted by Cr Cox stated the councillors actively supported and implemented measures that prioritise safety.

“We want to assure the community that any decisions made by this group fully comply with relevant laws and regulations and reflect governance best practice,” the statement read.

“Our priority is to serve the best interests of residents, ensuring our city remains safe, prosperous and inclusive for all.”

Speaking during Tuesday’s council meeting, Cr Cox said it was important to note that the councillors were working collaboratively.

“I have been through this mill and it is very important if you want a successful and functional council to get a group of people who are prepared to work collegiately,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at…

More News

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…