Home » News » Sixty years of salvation

Sixty years of salvation

This May, The Salvation Army in Melbourne’s north are urging the local community to get involved in the Red Shield Appeal, which will raise vital funds to continue supporting the most vulnerable and disadvantaged in our region.

Across the country, the Salvos are aiming to raise $38 million for the Red Shield Appeal, which is Australia’s largest and longest-running door-knock appeal. This year marks 60 years of the appeal.

The Salvation Army’s Major Warren Elliot said help is needed, now more than ever.

“Times are tough. We are seeing more people come through our doors every week, new families who have never done it this tough before, and people are feeling the pinch. They are skipping meals, unable to afford utility bills or medication for their kids. This is why we need your support,” he said.

“There is no better way to support your community than through volunteering and we would love to have you as part of our Red Shield Appeal army this year. Grab a mate, some work colleagues or the entire family and join us. We can’t do our work in the community without you.”

Last year, The Salvation Army provided assistance to one person every 17 seconds across Australia, with more than 1.2 million beds and 1.63 million meals given to people in need.

There are many ways you can get involved – collections in shopping centres or other key locations, door- knocking, online fundraising or organising a collection at your workplace, school or sporting event.

The Red Shield Appeal weekend is May 25 and 26, but there are many volunteering opportunities throughout the month of May.

All funds raised locally will remain in the local community, allowing the Salvos to meet the specific needs of the most disadvantaged and marginalised residents throughout Melbourne’s north.

Volunteer: salvationarmy.org.au/red-shield-appeal

Gerald Lynch

Digital Editions


More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 471376 Northern FL South Morang has locked in one of its own for the Northern Football League division 2 season. Tyson Gresham, who was…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…