Home » News » South Morang woman dies after firefighters go to wrong address

South Morang woman dies after firefighters go to wrong address

It took more than two hours for emergency services to find a woman in a wheelchair inside a burning home after she called for help.

Firefighters, relying on a printed map, initially went to the wrong address.

By the time they finally found her, Vivianne Rodger was dead.

A Victorian coroner has recommended changes to Fire Rescue Victoria policy after finding its delayed response to the blaze was clearly avoidable and she may have survived if they had arrived sooner.

Ms Rodger lived alone on Maybury Drive, Mill Park and was unable to move around independently after suffering a stroke and acquired brain injury.

She relied on a wheelchair and needed assistance to get in and out of bed.

The 54-year-old was supported by the National Disability Insurance Scheme and Melbourne City Mission.

About 2.40am on January 17, 2019, a service co-ordinator received a distressed call from a woman who said “my blanket is on fire” but the call was disconnected before more information was taken.

The co-ordinator tried calling back and called triple-0 to request firefighters go to a St Albans property, after guessing which client had called.

Firefighters went to St Albans but did not find a fire.

At 3.22am a supervisor again called triple-0 after discovering it was Ms Rodger who had called, by searching their records.

But firefighters went to the wrong house on Ms Rodger’s street, after becoming confused with the street numbers and using a Melways to find the property.

The process at the time was to send the fire station an A4 printout of the fire call with the address and a Melways reference.

CCTV from outside Ms Rodger’s property recorded a firefighter walking down Maybury Drive at 3.34am, past her house, before returning to the truck.

There were no visible fire signs with firefighters leaving and classifying the call as a “malicious false alarm”.

By 5am, flames and smoke were billowing out of Ms Rodger’s property, with neighbours issuing a third call for fire crews to attend and grabbing a garden hose to try and douse the flames themselves.

Crews arrived about 5.07am and extinguished the fire, with Ms Rodger found dead inside her bedroom.

Internal investigations found firefighters in the second call did not do enough to find Ms Rodger’s property.

“In all, the MFB [Metropolitan Fire Brigade] response to the second fire call was manifestly inadequate,” a coronial report published last week stated.

Coroner Paul Lawrie said the failure to find the correct address was a missed opportunity to try to rescue Ms Rodger and she would have had an improved chance of surviving if they found her sooner.

He found the delays were significant, avoidable and questioned the fire brigade’s reliance on Melways maps over a GPS map application.

“It is also concerning that reliance on a Melways map may have contributed to the failure to identify the correct property,” he wrote.

Mr Lawrie said fire trucks should all be equipped with modern navigational equipment but noted Fire Rescue Victoria had since taken steps to implement this technology across its fleet.

The coroner recommended FRV implement policies, procedures and training to ensure firefighters can better identify the location of a call.

FRV said it would carefully review the coroner’s findings and recommendations and provide a response by April 11.

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…