Home » News » ‘Strong need’ for Hume youth crisis facility

‘Strong need’ for Hume youth crisis facility

Hume will continue steps towards establishing a youth crisis facility in the municipality, following a council study which showed a “strong need”.

At a meeting on Monday, October 10, councillors spoke to a report which said Hume lacked any form of youth crisis accommodation despite 2016 census data showing 255 young people in the municipality were homeless on census night.

Councillor Karen Sherry, a strong advocate for addressing homelessness in Hume, said it was important to focus on young people to stem the cycle.

“Officers’ research found that 28 per cent of the homeless population in Hume are comprised of young people, which is much higher than the national average… entering into homelessness is not a decision a young person makes lightly,” Cr Shelly said.

As part of the study, a survey of local service providers and secondary colleges showed emergency or crisis accommodation was among their top five pressing needs in the region.

“The growth areas, like Hume, is where most of the young people live, so we need a facility… This report asks our council to commit $50,000 for a study that will choose the best location for this accommodation,” Cr Sherry said.

“[As well as] the best methodology to make it happen because it’s actually a state government responsibility, not our responsibility.”

The report said since commencement of the first stage of the study, council had been approached by three housing providers, Kids Under Cover, Launch Housing and Evolve, exploring options for a community housing facility on council owned land.

A stage two feasibility study will now be undertaken, to validate the need for the facility, include best practice case studies, provide alternative infrastructure delivery options, and finalise the preferred option.

Councillor Sam Misho said ratepayers deserved to have vulnerable and needy members of the community protected.

He said he would soon raise a notice of motion for council to request the government grant them part of the Mickleham quarantine facility to be used as a youth crisis facility.

“Currently we don’t have any youth crisis facility and therefore young people either room house, rough sleep, couch surf or go to other municipalities,” he said.

“It’s very, very sad to anybody that sees this phenomena.”

Digital Editions


  • Calling all artists

    Calling all artists

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Applications for the Hume Gallery annual exhibition are now open, offering emerging artists the chance to display their…

More News

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • NFL coming to Melbourne

    NFL coming to Melbourne

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 178232 The National Football League has confirmed that the San Francisco 49ers will play the Los Angeles Rams at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in…

  • Footy films initiative returns

    Footy films initiative returns

    Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF), AFL, and VicScreen have announced that Footy Shorts will return in 2026. The first Footy Shorts lineup proved a winner with audiences, reaching more than…

  • Big boost for Bundoora

    Big boost for Bundoora

    Bundoora United has received a massive boost ahead of the Victorian Premier League women’s competition. After finishing third last season and making the grand final, the side is aiming to…