Home » Sport » Bats’ stunning start

Bats’ stunning start

Plenty Valley has exceeded expectations in the women’s Victorian Premier Cricket season so far.

After not winning a game last season, the Bats were keen to be more competitive this season and get back on the winners lists this season.

After the first four rounds of the T20 competition, the Bats have won two of the three games they have played, with the fourth game washed out.

Head of female cricket and assistant coach Brett Cole said they were happy with how the season had started.

“We’re a little bit surprised,” he said. “We’ve changed the team around with a lot more experience in the group.

“Our first focus was to win a game. We’ve put together a group that is going to be more competitive.

“To go from zero wins last season to having two from three we are happy. Both Prahran and Carlton are super experienced.”

Cole said in the Prahran game they controlled it throughout, while for the most part they were in control against Carlton.

He said they gave them a bit of a chance early with their bowling, but were able to peg them back.

Cole said they put in a lot of hard work over the pre-season to help the players take their game to the next level.

Cole moved from head coach to head of female cricket, while former Sri Lankan international Suraj Randiv has taken on the head coach role.

Natasha Noblett has returned to the club in another bonus as they’ve put together a strong coaching panel.

Cole said while they wanted to focus on local talent as much as possible they needed to add some more experience in the group.

“Emma Corney is from England and plays in the equivalent of the WNCL [Women’s National Cricket League],” he said.

“Rebeka Vandort has come from Sri Lanka having previously played with Carlton.

“Cara Fiebig is from South Australia and lives in the area. She just knocked on our door.”

Cole said having more experienced players would take the pressure of the younger girls, who they were really excited about.

Jasmine Nevins, Ribhya Syan and Navleen Sandhu are three who continue to impress.

He said their second XI was full of talent with many of that side likely to be in the first XI in the coming years.

The Bats are set to play Essendon Maribyrnong Park on Sunday in the first of the one-day matches.

Cole said despite the good start to the season, nothing changes for them.

“We want to maintain what we are doing on the field and get better and better each week,” he said.

“The whole group has only been together for two or three weeks and people are still learning at the same time.

“We’re working out our best options. We’re heading in the right direction.”

The Bats’ men’s side are hoping to finally get their season underway on Saturday.

The Bats are set to face Oakleigh in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association south-west.

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…