Home » News » PM Scott Morrison “welcomes” proposed Mickleham quarantine hub

PM Scott Morrison “welcomes” proposed Mickleham quarantine hub

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says he “welcomes” the state government’s proposal for a 500-bed COVID-19 quarantine hub in Mickleham.

Last week, Acting Premier James Merlino announced a site on Donnybrook Road was the state government’s preferred location for the hub for returned travellers.

The site is next to the existing federal government-owned Mickleham Post Entry Quarantine Facility.

Construction of the quarantine hub in Mickleham is subject to federal approval and funding. The state government estimates that the facility will cost $200 million to construct.

The state government has provided $15 million to design the hub.

Star Weekly was contacted by many community members who opposed the announcement.

Yesterday, Mr Morrison said federal government agencies were in the process of assessing the proposal from the Victorian government.

“[The proposal] is, in contrast to some others we have received, it is a very detailed and comprehensive proposal,” Mr Morrison said.

“I welcome the fact that the Victorian government understands that, in any facilities when it comes to enforcing their public health orders, which is the quarantine order, that they would be running the operations and providing the support for those facilities to operate.”

Mr Morrison said the federal government would consider the request for funding “in good faith”.

He said he is treating the state’s plan for the hub “with respect”.

“I am treating that proposal with respect that it should have, because it has been, it is a very comprehensive and detailed proposal,” he said.

“A lot of effort has gone into it and we will look at it seriously, any of the fiscal issues, I am sure we would raise and discuss those first with the state government.

“But I am not getting ahead and nothing should be read into that.

“We will just take it on its merits and will consider it as part of our broader policy position.”

Mickleham residents have launched a petition against the Mickleham location for the hub, which now has 700 signatures.

Details: http://chng.it/KDKPX97DKP

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…