Home » News » Facebook wipes Australian news content in new law showdown

Facebook wipes Australian news content in new law showdown

Australian Facebook users have been blocked from accessing news sites via their social media feeds in a dramatic escalation of the tech giant’s stand-off with the federal government over proposed new laws.

Facebook users have had local and international news links removed from their feeds and all posts have been wiped from the Facebook pages of Australian news organisations including Star Weekly.

The sudden shutdown, triggered on Thursday, has also wiped content from a range of other pages including health and emergency services, social services, charities and the Bureau of Meteorology.

Star Weekly publisher Paul Thomas said the moves are “political posturing” and prove the ACCCs contention that Facebook is a monopoly with undue market power.

Mr Thomas said Australian news organisations producing balanced, factual news provides Facebook with relevance.

“Facebook has been riding off the back of news businesses for too long,” he said.

“Facebook’s claim that the value exchange between Facebook and publishers runs in favour of the publishers is a complete fabrication of the truth.”

Mr Thomas said Facebook pays almost no local taxes, is not subject to the same defamation laws as news outlets and does not pay copyright fees.

“Not to mention the fact that they don’t employ anyone to cultivate content as news organisations do, and have been happy to piggy-back on ours for years for free.”

Facebook has blamed the move on proposed Australian laws forcing tech companies like Facebook and Google to pay for news content.

Google has announced multi-million dollar deals with a handful of Australian news organisations in local days, but Facebook has so far resisted brokering direct deals ahead of the proposed law changes.

In a post published on Facebook’s webpage on Thursday morning, Facebook Australia & New Zealand managing director William Easton confirmed the company is restricting publishers and people in Australia from sharing or viewing Australian and international news content in response to Australia’s proposed new Media Bargaining law.

“The proposed law fundamentally misunderstands the relationship between our platform and publishers who use it to share news content,” he said.

“It has left us facing a stark choice: attempt to comply with a law that ignores the realities of this relationship, or stop allowing news content on our services in Australia. With a heavy heart, we are choosing the latter.”

Communications Minister Paul Fletcher told the ABC that Facebook needs to carefully consider what this means for its reputation and standing.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg tweeted that he had a “constructive discussion” with Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg on Thursday morning.

“He raised a few remaining issues with the Government’s news media bargaining code and we agreed to continue our conversation to try to find a pathway forward.”

Digital Editions


  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over…

More News

  • Ambulance response times climbing

    Ambulance response times climbing

    Ambulance response times have been released for October to December 2025, with response times slightly increasing in the northern suburbs. According to Ambulance Victoria, Hume ranked third across the state…

  • Experience musical classics live

    Experience musical classics live

    Experience classic musical songs from The Phantom of the Opera to Cats live in South Morang at the premier Michael Crawford tribute show ‘Phantom’. Keith McNamara is excited to perform…

  • Community grants flow

    Community grants flow

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530187 A sports playgroup for toddlers, a STEM school holiday program, a community volleyball initiative and a Pasifika community program are among the projects…

  • Keeping Hume cool on hot days

    Keeping Hume cool on hot days

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume councillor Naim Kurt has put heat on keeping community centres doors open on hot days. At the 9 February council meeting, Cr…

  • Calling all artists

    Calling all artists

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Applications for the Hume Gallery annual exhibition are now open, offering emerging artists the chance to display their work. The program aims to…

  • Stars with work to do

    Stars with work to do

    Everything is on the line for the Lalor Stars in the Diamond Valley Cricket Association Money Shield in the remaining two rounds. The Stars sit second last with two rounds…

  • New look Hume ready to do

    New look Hume ready to do

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 458912 It’s been an off season of change for Hume City in the National Premier League. While Hume finished in seventh and only two…

  • Demons’ ready for challenge

    Demons’ ready for challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 507983 Mernda is hoping to lock in a win this Saturday and with it a spot in at least the Diamond Valley Cricket Association…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…