Home » News » Prison term for Merrimu raid

Prison term for Merrimu raid

A man who planned and carried out a burglary at a rural property, where items valued at $57,000 was stolen, has been sentenced to more than two years in prison.

The Ballarat Magistrates Court was told last Wednesday that Jarrod Cann and a co-accused stole two vehicles, two shotguns, more than $15,000 cash and jewellery from the Merrimu property on April 22.

In sentencing Cann, Magistrate Ron Saines took into account the two stolen guns had not been located and posed a risk to the public’s safety. The cash had also not been found.

Cann was prohibited from having firearms and was on bail at the time of the burglary.

The court was told Cann had numerous prior criminal convictions.

“By far the most prominent factor to be considered is the seriousness of the offending,” Mr Saines said.

He sentenced Cann to 27 months in jail with a non-parole period of 18 months.

Cann had already served 194 days pre-sentence detention.

Cann pleaded guilty to 14 charges relating to crimes in April and May, including burglary, theft, petrol drive-offs, criminal damage, firearms theft, driving while disqualified, possessing methamphetamine and being a prohibited person possessing a firearm.

 

The Courier

 

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Hume celebrates pets

    Hume celebrates pets

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534913 Calling all pet owners and animal lovers, Hume Pet Lover and Family Fun Day is being held at Banksia Gardens Community Services at…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    Voter participation dropped in Lalor by-election

    According to a Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) report less Lalor Ward voters participated in the 2025 by-election than in the general election 10 months earlier. The VEC by-election report tabled…

  • Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Wollert man to be questioned in drug syndicate probe

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 46-year old Wollert man is expected to be interviewed as part of an international drug trafficking investigation that Victoria Police said has…

  • Jets pull women’s side

    Jets pull women’s side

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 425636 Greenvale has made the call to pull its women’s side ahead of the Essendon District Football League premier division season. The Jets were…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…