Home » News » Brimbank mayor takes swipe at Cairnlea asbestos dumpers

Brimbank mayor takes swipe at Cairnlea asbestos dumpers

A Cairnlea mother may remove her son from his local primary school following the discovery of more asbestos at a nearby building site.

Brimbank mayor John Hedditch said owners of 93 Furlong Road “need the book thrown at them” after construction waste, containing asbestos from a demolished Carlton pub, was dumped late last month.

The Environment Protection Authority said in a statement last Wednesday that building sheet fragments discovered at the site contained asbestos.

That announcement came days after the EPA had given the site an all clear following “unannounced works” the previous Friday (November 4) by the site owners under the supervision of asbestos risk specialists.

The EPA said it received an “asbestos clearance letter” from the site owners’ solicitors confirming all asbestos had been safely removed.

An inspection the following day, during which samples of building material were taken, also raised no issues for the nearby community, the EPA said at the time.

But in light of Wednesday’s announcement about building sheet fragments, Cairnlea mother of two Marlina Sterio said at an EPA-run information session last Thursday that she might pull her 10-year-old son out of Cairnlea Primary School, which is 200 metres down the road from the dumped asbestos.

“I feel ridiculously uneasy,” she said. “I was going to take him out of school – it’s still an option. He was pretty stressed about going back to school. It’s very upsetting.”

Cr Hedditch said the “rogue behaviour” of the site owners should engender the full force of the law.

“They [the site owners] need the book thrown at them,” he said.

“A big book. It’s not been fixed up quickly enough.”

EPA chief executive officer Nial Finegan told

Star Weekly the conduct of the site owners had been “disgraceful” but “the risk is close to zero, there’s no real risk”.

He said .05 cubic metres of asbestos had been recovered from the site so far.

According to the EPA, WorkSafe has demanded the site owners take new measures to reduce the risk to the community. The EPA says the owners are required to inform Cairnlea Primary and surrounding residents before any asbestos material is removed. They must conduct daily inspections to ensure that the rubble remains covered and all waste must be removed before the end of the month.

Brimbank council is considering legal action against the owners.

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Help shape Broadmeadows’ future

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Hume Council is calling on residents to help shape the future of Broadmeadows by sharing ideas for its precinct development plan, Project Broadmeadows.…

  • Hanson Road works begin

    Hanson Road works begin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 274762 The Hanson Road reconstruction has begun between Creekwood Drive and Malcolm Creek Parade in Craigieburn. Hume council is upgrading the existing roundabout at…

  • Whittlesea community festival returns

    Whittlesea community festival returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea’s community festival is returning on Sunday 15 March as a full day of free, family-friendly entertainment. Whittlesea mayor Lawrie Cox said it…

  • Summer smash postponed

    Summer smash postponed

    The Diamond Valley Cricket Association summer smash grand finals have been postponed. The three senior and one junior grand final were meant to be played this Sunday, but due to…

  • Council strengthens grants processes

    Council strengthens grants processes

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Whittlesea council has adopted a new grants policy that aims to remove fraud risks by removing councillors from grant assessments processes. Councillor Blair…

  • Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    Fernando to depart Kangaroos

    The final round of the Victorian Premier Cricket season will be Sunny Fernando’s last as Greenvale Kangaroos coach. In a statement from Kangaroos’ president Bruce Kent, the club announced that…

  • AI brings Wollert history to life

    AI brings Wollert history to life

    A new exhibition at a Wollert retirement village uses artificial intelligence (AI) to bring the region’s history to life. A Journey Through Time – The History of Wollert includes a…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Library launches welcome packs for children

    Library launches welcome packs for children

    Yarra Plenty Regional Library (YPRL) has launched free welcome packs and a prize competition to encourage young readers to join their local library. Every child under 12 who signs up…

  • Residents call for rates cap

    Residents call for rates cap

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 246677 Seventeen residents have signed a petition calling on Whittlesea council to consider capping rates at $1400. The petition was noted by council during…