Home » Uncategorized » Campbellfield waste centre on the nose, permit refused

Campbellfield waste centre on the nose, permit refused

A waste company has been refused a permit to keep operating at Campbellfield because it attracts rats, emits foul smells and generates dust.

Speedie Waste began recycling building materials on the Halley Crescent site about 18 months ago.

According to Hume council, the business owners started without a planning permit.

Five-metre high piles of waste, foul odours and vermin quickly led to complaints from neighbours, bringing Speedie Waste’s activities to the council’s attention.

After issuing several warning notices and fines, the council ordered works to stop, and the site has laid dormant for the past eight to 10 months.

Speedie Waste chief executive Vince Barilla said the company is losing money by the day.

Mr Barilla said about $200,000 had been spent buying equipment and setting up the site. He said there was never an issue with rats or bad smells.

“I’ve been in the waste game for 50 years now,” Mr Barilla said. “It’s just soil; there’s no waste there.”

Last Monday, councillors refused Speedie Waste a permit, an application for which had been lodged in February.

Hume council’s senior town planner Narelle Haber reported: “The proposed use is considered unacceptable on a site that does not have sufficient buffer distances. To date, the use …continues to cause serious amenity-based issues relating to public health, dust, vermin, litter and noise.”

Speedie Waste has two months to appeal.

Hume council director Kelvin Walsh said the owners are responsible for cleaning up the site.

Digital Editions


  • Calling all artists

    Calling all artists

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Applications for the Hume Gallery annual exhibition are now open, offering emerging artists the chance to display their…

More News

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • NFL coming to Melbourne

    NFL coming to Melbourne

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 178232 The National Football League has confirmed that the San Francisco 49ers will play the Los Angeles Rams at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in…

  • Footy films initiative returns

    Footy films initiative returns

    Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF), AFL, and VicScreen have announced that Footy Shorts will return in 2026. The first Footy Shorts lineup proved a winner with audiences, reaching more than…

  • Big boost for Bundoora

    Big boost for Bundoora

    Bundoora United has received a massive boost ahead of the Victorian Premier League women’s competition. After finishing third last season and making the grand final, the side is aiming to…